Skip to main content
 Home  (206) 934-4050  Ask the Library  Schedule a Research Appointment  Library Account/Renew
We are currently operating remotely in response to COVID-19. We're here to help. Get updates from the Remote Library Services page

Broadway High School: Welcome

This guide links to community resources, archival collections, and relevant Websites with information about Broadway High School, a Seattle Public School from 1902-1967.

Broadway High School, originally named Seattle High School because if was the first public high school in Seattle, operated from 1902-1946. In 1946, Broadway High School became Edison Technical College until 1966 when it was purchased by Washington State to create Seattle Central Community College.

Broadway High School at E. Broadway and E. Pine St., Seattle. Photograph by Asahel Curtis, 1909.

 

Broadway High School, 1902-1946

Original name: Seattle High School
Location: 1625 Broadway Avenue
Building: 70-room stone
Architect: Boone & Corner
Site: 2.12 acres
1902: Opened in September
1906: Renamed Washington High School on March 12
1908: Renamed Broadway High School on October 7
1911: Addition (Edgar Blair)
1946: Closed as high school on June 14; opened in September as part of Broadway-Edison Technical School
1948: Renamed "South Building" of Edison Technical School
1966: Became part of Seattle Community College
1967: Transferred to State of Washington on August 23
1974: Demolished except 1911 auditorium

Source: Seattle Public Schools, 1862-2000: Broadway High School. HistoryLink.org. Essay 10475. 2013.